Monday, October 5, 2009

College Success for Everyone

In an earlier post I mentioned how completely useless I thought the college success course would be to me. I've been working since I was 13 years old, only ever had two jobs where I wasn't promoted (and actually received a raise at one of those two), and I feel that I've developed a good set of employable skills. I'm not going to school because I can't get a job. I am going to school to get a degree to back up my skills and to learn more about being a writer. I have loved many of my past jobs, but in the end none of them were what I wanted to "be when I grew up".

As it turns out..... there is a lot I need help with. I know this. I don't deny it. However, I had written the above mentioned class off as something that would only help with time management and note taking (both of which I think I'm good at). I've been to this class three times now and in all honesty the first two seemed to confirm my thoughts. In this last class though, we went over everything we would be doing over the next sessions and what we could hope to learn. I see now that this class will offer stress management techniques (which I need), tips on emotional intelligence (lets face it, even the most "responsible" among us could use this), assistance with career planning (if I didn't need this, I'd be a successful author by now) and an array of other seemingly helpful topics. I think for now, I'll open my mind to the possibility of learning something new in this class....

No comments:

Post a Comment